Monday, July 6, 2009

San Gabriel 11-18 year old boys

It had been a rough rocky road but we had made it. What is the first thing we see but a cow, malnourished none the less but a cow. It is a locked facility. They have to open the door for us to pull in to the compound. There are boys everywhere. They look at us, some out in the courtyard, some behind barred windows. Once in we found out that San Gabriel used to be a prison. It still had that feel to it. These boys, some jovial, some despondent and some simply not caring. It was a very sad place to me. I can't imagine the day to day existence of these boys. No matter what it looked like to me it was far better than the alternative. Living on the street with no one to call a family. At least here, for all intended purposes they were family.
For this moment in time we would be their family.
_
No matter how old they were, they enjoyed the lesson, the crafts and the shoes. I didn't get any pictures of the shoes because I was on the lesson team this stop. We were there to share Jesus love and that is just what I did. The feeling in the pit of my stomach was of much distress. I just felt something in this orphanage unlike the other. There was despair here, the only thing that I have come close to comparing it to was one Saturday several weeks back, going in to the jail here to minister. That same hopelessness. That same despair. Jesus came to set the captive free. I pray that these young men will find Jesus and become free!!!!!!!!!

No comments: