Thursday, October 23, 2008

Leaving the United States

As I said the Dallas Airport was a treat. This is where I first met some of the others going to Guatemala on the Buckner SOS trip. It was a group comprised of Buckner people, Geoff Moore and those traveling with him and Ben. Ben was along for documentation purposes for Buckner. He was the passenger sitting directly in front of me. A quiet, unassuming kind of guy. The passengers that sat beside of me were a brother and sister traveling back to Guatemala. You remember the test? The not talking to anyone test? Well, Hugar and Mary were my flight buddies until Guatemala. The very interesting little fact was that Hugar and Mary spoke little English, and me, even less Spanish. They wanted to talk the entire trip to Guatemala. I had thought the language would be a barrier. Well, it was but it did not deter Hugar and Mary from wanting to have conversation, lots of conversation. Hugar showed me pictures on his camera that he had just taken on his trip to a friends in Washington State. They were delightful.

I did have a little reprieve by being able to watch Bucket List.


The great thing about watching a movie like that is on the flight they take all the bad language out of it. How enjoyable!!! (I still wonder why they can do that there but not at the theater. I know maybe they could show it with a bad language-free showing and one with bad language in it. The industry just might be surprised at how much we would like the movie. Such was the case with Bucket List.) It was wonderful and left me in my seat crying a little uncontrollably, for many different reasons. If you can watch it without the bad language I endorse it fully, not so much if it is full of the unnecessary bad language!!!!!!!! Sweet Hugar, empathized with me about the tears. He had already seen it. He was the sweetest man. I thank God for Hugar and Mary, just a taste of what was to come and the Guatemalan people.

What did I learn from this leg of the flight. God can take away any language barrier. He can work all things to our good!!! Now I mentioned Ben earlier because at the end of the flight, He admitted I gave him much entertainment trying to converse with Hugar and Mary. I even had the Buckner trip manual out trying to find the words to use when Hugar asked me what my profession was. I guess you would have just had to been there.
Arrival: Guatemala Mission: Shoes For Orphan Souls-Buckner International

No comments: